Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Surfers / Cologne weekend / more CS wall items

First I had some awesome CouchSurfers from Ireland, Yaz and Laura, and they were an absolute pleasure to host. They did my best to help my Irish pronounciation, but I just kept sounding like a scot, apparently, but Yaz did say I was "in the ballpark". For my CouchSurfing wall they left me a leprechaun and one of their cds, since they're also travelling musicians. (which I've yet to listen to.)

Yaz and Laura struggling with my keyboard

Unfortunately I left them a bit earlier than planned, as I had school in the morning and after that I started biking to Cologne. However, I had only the night before posted in the Cologne group that I needed a couch there. Usually I send individual requests but this was a last minute decision, after someone at the last Rotterdam meeting challenged me to learn Cologne dialect!
Here is where things got a little crazy.


First I took the train from Rotterdam to Blerick, where my bike was.
Next I biked to Moenchengladbach
I took the wrong path down to Immerath
When I realized just how lost I was, I biked to the nearest trainstation in Erkelenz
I called my friend, and found out I had a couch in Merzenich
So I took the train there.
The next day I took the same train back to Erkelenz
From where I biked on to Merzenich
I then (Saturday) took the train to Koeln, and the same train back to Merzenich on Monday.
From here I biked to Maastricht, where I took the train back to Leiden

All in all though, I had a great weekend, with both my hosts being really awesome. Especially Sarah, who was extremely helpful in my quest to learn koelsch.The last day was also extremely great because it had amazing weather. I biked from around ten in the morning to six in the evening across three countries, and saw many awesome things along the way.

This chapel outside Kerkrade is one of the amazing things I've seen


Finally, a bunch of new items added to the couchsurfing wall. I will edit this post when I've photographed the last two of them.

EDIT: Here they are:







No comments: