Saturday, February 21, 2009

Big Hitchhiking trip

So recently I tried hitchhiking for the first time in my life, and I was extremely pleasantly surprised to find that it's extremely easy, and that people on overall are more than happy to take you. Hitchhiking has gone from being a faraway idea in my mind to one of the most normal methods of traveling.

I traveled through 5 countries in 10 days, which sounds like a lot more than it is, as this little map will show.

I started out at my local gas station at 12, and 4 drivers and 10 hours later I was in Luxembourg, where I CouchSurfed a few days, and one of my hosts was the awesome Daniel Reiter. I also saw the awesome MUDAM (a modern art museum) there.

A few days later I started hitchhiking to Paris, and 4 drivers (5 if you count the tiny bit the police brought me) and 12 hours later, I arrived in Paris, where I took the transilien to the suburbs to meet up with my good friend Jordan and we had some good times in Paris with him, the other DG, and some other people before leaving to the French countryside.In a little place called Vouavre, we had an insane goodbye party for Jordan, who leaves for Taiwan for a year very soon.

After another night in Paris I set about to return to the Netherlands, but ended up changing my mind when my very first ride went all the way from Paris to Leipzig, so I decided to ride with them to Cologne, and visit my friend in Duesseldorf.

Finally, after a few days, I decided I should return home, so I got 1 ride from Duesseldorf to Venlo, where I took the train (free to me as a student in the Netherlands) back to Leiden.

Yes, this is one of the cars I got a lift in.
(numberplate faded for privacy reasons)

Pictures of this event ( Luxembourgh, Paris, Vouavre, and finally the ride to Duesseldorf)

1 comment:

Tenure said...

Hah! Brilliant.

You seem to be having a lot of fun Tommy! :D